Darra Goldstein is the Willcox B. and Harriet M. Adsit Professor of Russian at Williams College and Founding Editor of Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture, named the 2012 Publication of the Year by the James Beard Foundation. She is currently the editor-in-chief of Cured, a new magazine on the art and science of fermentation. She has published widely on literature, culture, art, and cuisine and has organized several exhibitions, including Graphic Design in the Mechanical Age and Feeding Desire: Design and the Tools of the Table, 1500-2005, both at the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. She is also the author of five cookbooks: A Taste of Russia (nominated for a Tastemaker Award), The Georgian Feast (winner of the 1994 IACP Julia Child Award for Cookbook of the Year), The Winter Vegetarian, Baking Boot Camp at the CIA (IACP award finalist), and Fire + Ice: Classic Nordic Cooking, just released by Ten Speed Press.
Goldstein has consulted for the Council of Europe as part of an international group exploring ways in which food can be used to promote tolerance and diversity, and under her editorship the volume Culinary Cultures of Europe: Identity, Diversity and Dialogue was published in 2005. She has also consulted for the Russian Tea Room and Firebird restaurants in New York City and was the national spokesperson for Stolichnaya vodka when it was first introduced to the US. In 2013 she was named Distinguished Fellow in Food Studies at the Jackman Humanities Institute, University of Toronto.
Goldstein is currently Food Editor of Russian Life magazine and Series Editor of California Studies in Food and Culture (University of California Press). The 900-page Oxford Companion to Sugar and Sweets, for which she served as Editor in Chief, appeared in May 2015.
- Willcox B. and Harriet M. Adsit Professor of Russian at Williams College | View Website
- Editor-in-Chief, Cured (Zero Point Zero Production)
- Founding Editor, Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture(University of California Press) | View Website
- Series Editor, California Studies in Food and Culture, University of California Press |View Website
- Food Editor, Russian Life magazine | View Website
- Stanford University, Ph.D 1983
- Vassar College, A.B. 1973
Other Professional Experience
- Consultant, European Union Northern Dimension initiative, 2011
- Consultant, AgVANTAGE/USAID project on Georgian agriculture, 2007
- Consultant on Food and Diversity, The Council of Europe, Strasbourg, France, 2002-2005