Bringing the best of Scandinavian home cooking into your kitchen, Fire + Ice: Classic Nordic Cooking offers over 100 delicious recipes that showcase this region’s most beloved sweet and savory dishes.
From smoked arctic char, meatball stew and savory puffed pancakes to Swedish almond wreaths, cardamom braids and whipped berry pudding, recipes in Fire + Ice illustrate the glorious and diverse flavors of classic Nordic cooking, and have been tailored for home cooks of all abilities. Author Darra Goldstein, the foremost American authority on this region, offers readers an opportunity to discover the history, lore, and rich culinary traditions of Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden with deeply personal essays about each country, as well as information on the history of foraging, the iconic ingredients of the north, and regional cooking techniques. More than just a usable cookbook, Fire + Ice is a travelogue and love letter to Scandinavia, inviting readers and cooks alike on a guided exploration of this unique region, its people, and its culture.
- James Beard Award Finalist
- IACP Award Finalist
- Long-listed for The Art of Eating Prize
- San Francisco Chronicle Top Cookbooks of 2015
Praise for Fire + Ice
- “I dare you to read this book without wishing you were born Scandinavian. The food looks so delicious and the pictures are so gorgeous that you can’t help feeling you were born in the wrong place. This tantalizing introduction to Nordic foods is like no cookbook on the market. Open it at your peril. It will make you want to travel. And it will make you want to cook.”
— Ruth Reichl, author of Delicious, and former editor in chief of Gourmet magazine
- “Darra Goldstein is the best kind of food scholar. She’s a gourmet and a gourmand, driven by equal parts hedonism and curiosity. Both are here on full display in this Nordic cookbook and culinary genealogy, providing a delicious context for the region’s modern food revolution.”
— Dan Barber, co-owner and executive chef of Blue Hill and Blue Hill at Stone Barns, and the author of The Third Plate
- “Darra Goldstein’s recipes defy the stereotypes of Scandinavian cuisine. This cookbook isn’t about rotten shark or Swedish meatballs; these dishes beautifully capture a people who cannot help but be completely in touch with the elements, the land, and the sea.”
— Nathan Myhrvold, coauthor of Modernist Cuisine and Modernist Cuisine at Home, and author of The Photography of Modernist Cuisine
- “This book–full of stunning imagery and all the Nordic staples of home cooking–is a must-have for anyone interested in this amazing region.”
— René Redzepi, chef, co-owner of Noma, and author of Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
Select Press for Fire + Ice
- Vanity Fair: “Just the Desserts from the 18 Best New Cookbooks” | Strawberry Meringue Cake
- Portland Press Herald: Cookbook Review of Fire + Ice | Scholarship and delicious recipes come wrapped in a gorgeous package.
- Radio Cherry Bombe: Episode 46 | Darra Goldstein and Amanda Freitag
- A Taste of the Past: Episode 217 | Nordic Cuisine